As a church leader you manage a lot of people. Some may be on the pay roll while others volunteer out of the goodness of their heart. Either way, they deserve to be managed well. The following is a review of a well intentioned but miss guided book. Don't worry, there is still something very valuable hidden in it's pages.
It's Okay To Be The Boss by Bruce Tulgan [Book Review]
Warning: “It’s Okay To Be The Boss” is a 90/10 book. 10% of these pages are packed with value, but the other 90% may take you so far down the wrong path you may not recover.
Tulgan argues that the cause of poor performance is under management.
But his solution to this problem is over management
And let’s be honest, when’s the last time you gave a top performance because you were being micromanaged?
So what about that 10%? Where’s the good stuff?
Everything you need to know from Mr Tulgan is right here:
Your job as a manager is to…
- provide direction and guidance
- hold people accountable
- deal with failure
- and reward success.
That’s it. Pretty simple, right?
So instead of over managing, always be ready to say, “Here’s what I need from you. What do you need from me?”
The solution to under management
isn’t over management,
it’s clear communication.